This week, iOS 16 turned obtainable for iPhone house owners to obtain — giving them the flexibility to edit and unsend iMessages.
However earlier than we get into that, to my readers within the UK and throughout Europe, be forewarned: In the present day’s the day Amazon is rising its Prime membership costs. Here is what you may need to know.
Additionally, the Ethereum blockchain accomplished its long-awaited Merge improve early this morning, cofounder Vitalik Buterin mentioned in a Twitter publish.
Now, let’s get to the remainder of the information.
This publish first appeared in 10 Issues in Tech, a publication by Insider that brings you all the most recent tech information & scoops — delivered every day to your inbox. Enroll right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. It is right here: iPhone customers can now edit and unsend their texts. On Monday, Apple’s fall software program replace, iOS 16, turned obtainable for customers to obtain. Insider reporter Katie Canales took the characteristic for a take a look at drive — and is satisfied it is considered one of Apple’s neatest software program updates so far.
- By holding down on a textual content, you may have the choice to “Undo Ship” or “Edit” your message.
- In the event you’re messaging with somebody who hasn’t downloaded the replace, nonetheless, they are going to get two texts: the unique and the edited model. In the event you unsend a message, the recipient should see the unique message on units the place the software program hasn’t been up to date.
- Consider, the brand new options will not work in case you’re speaking with Android customers and their green-colored bubbles — including extra gasoline to the continued drama between Google and Apple.
- Total, although, Katie discovered it was an thrilling new characteristic to have within the Apple toolbox — a lot in order that she mentioned it could be the good factor the corporate has carried out in a very long time.
All the things you may must find out about unsending texts.
In different information:
2. Netflix laid off 30 animation studio staff. In an electronic mail to employees Wednesday, the corporate mentioned it might be letting go about 2% of its animation unit. Because the begin of the 12 months, Netflix has minimize greater than 450 staffers, plus 70 animation contractors. Extra on the most recent Netflix cuts. Plus, learn the memo despatched to employees.
3. A bundle that exploded on Northeastern College’s campus had a word criticizing Mark Zuckerberg connected. CNN reported the bundle — which was considered one of two — included a word that criticized the Fb founder, and the connection between teachers and the development of digital actuality. One college employee was injured. What we all know thus far.
4. Need cereal within the workplace? Gather donations. In keeping with a former Amazon worker, one of many firm’s managers took away a group’s cereal privilege to economize — and requested employees to donate cereal as a substitute. All the things else the worker shared.
5. Startup founder salaries have been upended out there downturn. New information means that founders in areas just like the Bay Space and Los Angeles have not too long ago seen their salaries dip, maybe partly due to a tricky VC funding surroundings and macroeconomic uncertainty. How the downturn has affected founders.
6. Google will probably be compelled to pay greater than $4 billion to the European Union. The tech large simply misplaced its enchantment in its courtroom battle over claims of Android’s anticompetitive conduct. Get the total rundown right here.
7. A startup that lets staff entry their wages as they earn them simply raised $10 million in contemporary funds. Rosaly, a French wage advance fintech startup, desires to turn into a platform for worker monetary wellbeing. Check out the pitch deck they used to woo buyers, and discover our library of profitable pitch decks.
8. A brand new chart reveals the tech corporations with the costliest inventory compensation. Amazon and Google are main the pattern of public tech corporations diluting their stockholders as a compensation technique to woo expertise to their corporations, Insider’s evaluation discovered. See the place different corporations fall.
Odds and ends:
9. Google’s latest product is… potato chips? Forward of the discharge of its new Pixel 7 cellphone in Japan, Google simply revived considered one of its weirdest advertising and marketing ploys: releasing limited-edition potato chips in flavors like Snow Cheese and Obsidian Pepper. Take a look at Google’s potato chips.
10. Video reveals a food-delivery robotic meandering by means of a criminal offense scene. Posted on-line this week, the footage reveals the robotic crossing beneath police tape in Los Angeles and into a criminal offense scene. Watch the little courier scooting by means of the scene.
What we’re watching right now:
- Amazon is about to extend the value of its Prime membership within the UK.
- NASA will present highlights of Perseverance rover’s exploration of Mars, a 12 months and a half after it first touched down.
- 25 years in the past, the Google.com area title was registered.
- Tokyo Sport Present, an leisure and gaming occasion, kicks off right now.
Hold up to date with the most recent tech information all through your day by testing The Refresh from Insider, a dynamic audio information temporary from the Insider newsroom. Hear right here.